These tacos came about spontaneously, as all good things do. I had half a bell pepper in the fridge and was just going to cook it off in olive oil like I usually do. But I also had made stock a few days prior, and thought “Why not mix it up?” Then BAM an incredible breakfast taco was born.
These are easy peasy and super customizable; you can swap out the cheese for a vegan alternative, swap the egg for meat or tofu at dinner time, or add some rice and a flour tortilla for a burrito vibe. Really, the possibilities are endless. The most outstanding part of this recipe, though, is how the peppers are cooked.
The low and slow simmering of the stock infuses the peppers with a depth of flavor you just can’t get from sautéing them in oil. Giving those peppers the sweet sweet time to chill in the stock also makes them juicy and tender, but that initial charring over high heat keeps their crunch. It’s definitely my new go-to way for cooking bell peppers.
Makes 5 tacos
2 bell peppers, sliced
1/2 cup stock (here’s how I make mine)
1 cup shredded cheddar
5 corn tortillas
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/2 lemon, juiced
Sriracha, to taste
1. Add olive oil to a medium sized skillet over medium high heat. Once pan is hot, add bell pepper and season with salt and pepper. Tossing occasionally, cook for 5-7 minutes until the peppers are slightly charred.
2. Reduce heat to medium low and pour in stock until peppers are covered. Let simmer until completely reduced, about 15-20 minutes. Remove peppers from pan.
3. While peppers are simmering, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, and sriracha to taste to make your spicy citrus mayo.
4. Add olive oil into pan and cook eggs for 30 seconds until soft-scrambled. Remove from pan.
5. Heat corn tortillas and add cheese to the center. Remove once cheese is melted.
6. To assemble, scoop eggs and peppers on top of the melted cheese. Garnish with a few pickled onions, a generous drizzle of spicy citrus mayo, sriracha, and cilantro.
I’d love to see how you guys customize the peppers, so let me know what you think in the comments! Happy cooking.
3 thoughts on “Bell Pepper Breakfast Tacos”
Great idea to have instead of cercal or pancakes everyday. Thanks for the recipe.
LikeLiked by 1 person